We have known for quite some time that another Scottish Home existed somewhere in the United States. Now as a result of the scanning program and the Internet, we have some answers. A letter has been found from C. E. Duerr, secretary, of the St. Andrew’s Scottish Benevolent Society, in Cleveland, Ohio, asking questions about the operation about the Scottish Home in Riverside, Il. It seems that Mrs. Cummings, the Superintendent, knew a lady who wanted to apply as the matron of their home and thus a series of letters back and forth. We do not have all the letters but we can get some understanding of the other Scottish Home, both from the letters and now the Internet. It was called the Scottish Old Folks Home and was “designed to house older natives of Scotland and their families.” The capacity was around thirty, but as of April 5, 1930, they had only nine residents. When it was learned that the matron also did the cooking, Mrs. Cummings felt that her friend would not be interested in the job.
The Scottish Old Folks Home was located in Cleveland, Ohio, at 1835 North Park Boulevard in a Georgian house of 19 rooms. The house was originally built in 1903 as the home of Bishop John Patrick Farrelly of the Catholic Diocese. We do not know when the St. Andrew’s Scottish Benevolent Society of Cleveland purchased the home and it is unclear if the Society still exists. It appears that the Scottish Old Folks Home began operating in 1919 and continued into the 1940's. An article on the Internet states, “In the 1940's the house was operated as the Scottish Old Folks home under the direction Matron Harriet Hepburn.” After that it was owned by the Rose Institute, and then by various individual owners.” In 1998 the home was on the Heights Heritage Tour and contained “classic contemporary furnishings by Charles Rennie Mackintosh." “The house has been total remodeled and restored to its original conditions with many additions.” The present owner is not identified.
In 1930, the president of the St. Andrew’s Scottish Benevolent Society was John J. MacEwen with William Peters and Ringland Andrews serving as vice presidents. Hector Fraser was the treasurer. Members of the Board of Trustees were: Frank Crockett, D. C. Noble, George Y. Farmer, William T. Angus, Alex Dunbar, B. C. Campbell, William Young and C. E. Duerr. The Society met the first Friday of each month at the Pythiuan Temple 919 Huron Road, Cleveland, Ohio. Additional information about the Benevolent Society, or the individuals mentioned would be greatly appreciated.