Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Colonel Walter Scott and the Scottish Community

Who was this man that kept sending money to Chicago for the benefit of the Scottish Old Peoples Home? We knew he was often referred to as Colonel Walter Scott and that he worked for Butler Brothers and his office was at 860 Broadway in New York City. There was nothing more in our records. Yet, from 1917 to 1935, he was a regular and generous donor. We knew that he visited the Scottish Home several times and, once in the company of Margaret Williamson Trude, he purchased a tree to be planted in his honor.

(The tree program was started by Architect William Mundie after the 1917 fire and a number of trees were purchased and planted to honor various individuals. The trees were never marked and we have thus far found no other records. Sadly, most of the older trees are now gone.)

In 1919, there was a remaining mortgage of $11,000.00 on the Scottish Home after the fire in 1917. John McGill wrote “our good friend, Mr. Walter Scott, of New York City, has promised in a telegram just received to be one of eleven to cancel the debt of $11,000.00 on our Scottish Old Peoples Home at Riverside. To meet Mr. Scotts' offer, Mr. John Williamson has agreed to give $1,000.00 and, I, myself, as the new President of the Society, will give $5,000.00.” The goal was met and the mortgage against the Home was paid. At another time, he sent a check for $1,000.00 and said “if you can get nine others to match this amount you can keep the check.” They did and kept the check.

Through the years, I had made several attempts to find information about Walter Scott. I visited 860 Broadway and spent time in the public library in New York City. One year, I decided to spend the day at the Library and do a thorough search. Six hours later, after talking to various individuals and looking at hundreds of entries, I found a young librarian who knew Walter Scott because of some other research he had done. The records I needed were under the full name of Colonel Walter Scott and suddenly there was a wealth of information.

This is the first of three about Walter Scott.

4 comments:

  1. I have in my possession an old leather bound book titled "One Hundred Best Novels Condensed" that also has printed "Special Edition printed for Colonel Walter Scott for distribution among his friends - Christmas 1931" There is a business card in there that says "The Seasons Greetings" signed by Walter Scott. I think he died in 1931. Not sure. If you are interested send me an email and I will send photos.

    jeff@jeffschulz.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you are also interested, I have, and have just come upon it, in my possession, the first Irish Garda Siochana (Irish Police Force) recipient of the 'Scott's Medal' for bravery. His name was James Mulroy. And he was presented with his medal in 1924, in Pheonix Park, Dublin, by Walter Scott himself. He is my relative. He retired from the Irish Police in 1962. I have photos and a picture of him at my parent's wedding back in 1962.

    Let me know if you would like to see these pictures.

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't heard from you but I would very much like to see the pictures.

      Delete
  3. I would very much like to see the pictures. Colonel Walter Scott was indeed a wonderful man. I once spent a lot of time looking at his life because he was in Chicago often. I even visited his grave but it was a long walk for an old man. I couldn't do it now. My email is wrethford@comcast.net

    ReplyDelete