Information about the beginnings of the Old People’s Home of the Illinois St. Andrew’s Society is very limited. Newspaper articles announcing the opening on Bryan Avenue have yet to be found and some of the minutes and records of the Society for the years 1900-1910 are also missing. The following article appeared in the newspaper on February 12, 1903. This is the first newspaper reference to the Scottish Home on Bryan avenue.
“The most notable assemblage of Scottish people Chicago has every known is promised for the evening in the Auditorium, when the charity concert of the United Scottish Societies is to be given for the benefit of St. Andrew’s Old People’s home. The prima donna of the occasion will be Miss Jessie N. MacLachlan, who was a court singer to Queen Victoria. She is now making a tour of the world, and has gained recognition as the greatest Scottish ballad singer in the world. The pianist will be Mme. Jeanne Edgar, while others who will have a part in the program are: Lewis Campion, basso; Allan M. Campbell, ballad singer.”
“Governor Yates, Mayor Harrison, the British Consul, Capt. Wyndam; Marshall Field, David R. Forgan, Judge Holdon, and a score of others have secured boxes. The chairman of the box committee is Graeme Stewart. All the proceeds of this concert will be devoted to the Old People’s home of the St. Andrew’s society, which is the oldest charitable society in Illinois, having been in operation for more than fifty years
Wayne Rethford, Chairman
Scottish American Histroy Club
A Division of the Illinois St. Andrew's Society