Friday, October 8, 2010

Hale and Hearty, but 85 Years Old - January 8, 1905

"Mrs. Jane Griffith, more than 85 years old, awoke yesterday morning feeling sprightly after having been entertained the night before at a large reception in honor of herself and eleven companions whose ages aggregate 900 years.  The reception was given at the Illinois Saint Andrew's Society Old People's home, 43 Bryant avenue, by the members of the society and their friends."

"I am just as young as I was when I came west in 1848", said Mrs. Griffith. "I wouldn't know from my feelings that a year had passed since then, but I only have to look around me to realize that I am pretty old.  When I settled in Dundee, Illinois, the farmers had to haul their wheat to Chicago."

The average age of the inmates of the home is more than 75 years."

(Chicago Daily Tribune, January 8, 1905.  Page 7)  There is also a picture of Mrs. Griffith.

This is all I know about Mrs. Griffith.  I place her story on the Internet in case some family member might be looking for her.  It would be nice to know the rest of her story.  If anyone knows, please contact me.

No comments:

Post a Comment